Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beyond Method 3

On your blog, post to your blog about maps mashups. (Please include “Beyond Method 3″ in the title of your blog post.) Do you see yourself creating maps for your library? If you created a map, add a link to your new map to the post. Was Google Maps easy to use? Did you have any difficulties? 

Using Google Maps was not as easy for me as it was for the person in the video. They have changed the names to things and slightly changed the way you have to do things. There wasn't even anything that said "link" in the corner of the map. You had to wave your mouse over it to figure out what it was. I like the idea of the things that you can do with Google maps and the "My Maps" ideas. You could put not only your library's location on the map, but you can also put important landmarks and points of interest in the town for your patrons. Some patrons may be unaware of the interesting things they can find in their own backyards. The difficulties I had were in trying to figure out how to get the map attached to the "my maps" area. If I did not follow the steps in the class, I never would have been able to figure it out, and so if I were just an individual checking out Google Maps for the first time, I would never have been able to get as far as I did. I will have to experiment with this tool a lot more before I would feel comfortable sharing a map I made with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment