Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Method 8

Consider some of these questions as you reflect on this two-stepping method: How do you feel about social networking sites in general? Do you have privacy concerns and/or concerns about keeping your personal life separate from your professional life in the online environment? Is your library already using some of these social networking tools and if not, do you see potential uses for any of these tools in your library?

I like the idea of social networking sites. It gives everyone the ability to see how people they have not seen for years are doing, and it also gives them the ability to reconnect with those individuals. I also think that networking sites are great for the library, because it can show patrons not just what is going on at the library, but they can also see pictures, videos, or comments made by others on how the programs went. We have a Facebook page for our library, and the patrons enjoy looking at the pictures of what is going on and the cool things that their children are doing during the summer. I do see a need for keeping a professional and personal account seperate when it comes to networking sites. I have a Facebook page, and I only allow my friends to see anything other than the basic information that goes to my page when searching it. I am not doing this, because I feel the need to hide anything, but I don't wish for just anyone to have that information so easily. Our library's Facebook page, on the other hand, is public, and everyone can see what's going on at the library. I also don't want to worry about friending or not friending a patron of the library. To me, it seems easier just to have two accounts and not have to worry about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment