Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Method 9

In your “Method 9″ blog post, tell us about your chat experience. How did it go? Did you find it easy or difficult? Also, what do you think about chat/IM and libraries? Is your library currently offering chat/IM and if not, do you think it might in the future?

I have chatted before with a couple of my friends using Facebook, and I used to chat with people all the time using the IM on AOL. I find it really easy to IM with other people. The only issue is the ability for people to take tone into account when you type instead of speaking something. So you have to watch and make sure nothing you type might offend others. I think IMs would be great for some libraries. I know there are times when people have to get frustrated when they are trying to find something, and they may have the title of the item a little confused. It would be great to have a little IM box pop up on the screen ready to help save the patron from frustration. Our library does not offer IM right now, but it might be something to test out and see if the patrons would give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment